Monday, April 7, 2008

Letter to Mom

Sorry, I know this is weird, but I want to write a letter to Mom on here.

Dear Mom,

I like sewing now! I've been trying to like sewing for years and years and now I finally do!

I made this apron. Isn't it cute?


I hope you don't mind but I took your Bernina. I was afraid to take it because I remember that time when I was first married and asked if I could have your old Singer and you said no, even though you were never ever going to use it again. I promise I'll be careful with it.

I keep finding myself doing things that [I think] would make you happy or proud. It's become sort of an obsession. Each time I visit our home in California I take one or two things of yours back with me. This last time I took FOUR things: your butter molds from New Zealand, your entire ribbon collection (to make hairbows for the girls), your sewing scissors, and of course your sewing machine. I love seeing your things around my house because it feels a little like you're here with us.

Remember how mad you would get if we ever used your sewing scissors on paper? That was a big rule in our house and one I will never ever break. I LOVE how sharp your scissors are!

Anyway, I have just really been wanting to tell you how happy I am to discover that I really do like to sew. I just wish that you and I could have worked on something together. Like maybe a quilt. That would have been cool. But sewing (especially on your sewing machine) makes me feel really close to you and I think that helps me enjoy it even more. I love you Mom,

Kath

No comments: