Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted.

It was one year ago tonight about this time that Marianne passed away. I went to visit her grave site today for the first time. I had talked to each one of you seperately and I had decided that it would be hard on us and decided that we weren’t ready. But I changed my mind and bought some flowers and went there this afternoon by myself.
I think all of us wondered that night how we could possibly survive as a family without the physical presence of Marianne. She was everything to us. Yet we have been truly blessed as a family. I believe we are experiencing the atoning sacrifice of our Savior. The prophet Alma taught that the Savior suffered first and formost for the sorrow, suffering and sickness of the Lord’s people, as well as for their sins. (Alma 7:11-14). The purpose of the atonement is to draw us closer to Him. I have noticed this with each one of us.

I, like you miss your Mom so much. I can’t go an hour without thinking of her. Most of the time I just feel lost without her. But at the same time I have never felt stronger. My testimony and knowledge of the Gospel has grown significantly, and I have never felt closer to each one of you than I do now. These are blessings of the Atonement.

I know that each of us are concerned about how the future will be without being able to see or talk to your Mom. However we can be assured that she is near.

The spirits of the just are exalted to a greater and more glorious work; hence they are blessed in their departure to world of spirits. Enveloped in flaming fire, they are not far from us, and know our thoughts feelings and motions, and are often pained therewith. Joseph Smith

May I say for the consolation of those who mourn, and for the comfort and guidance of all of us, that no righteous man or woman is ever taken before his or her time. In the case of the faithful Saints, they are simply transferred to other fields of labor. The Lord’s work goes on in this life, in the world of spirits , and in the kingdoms of glory where men go after their resurrection. Joseph Fielding Smith

All men know that they must die, and it is important that we should understand the reasons and causes of our exposure to the vicissitudes of life and of death, and the designs and purposes of God in coming into the world, and our sufferings here, and our departure hence...It is but reasonable to suppose that God would reveal something in reference to the matter, and it is a subject that we ought to study more than any other. We ought to study it day and night, for the world is ignorant in reference to their true condition and relation. If we have any claim on our Heavenly Father for anything, it is for knowledge on this important subject. Joseph Smith

It feels like I have read just about everything on the subjects of death and the resurrection. As I have talked to each one of you and observed you, I can’t help but notice Marianne’s continuing influence. I read once where Joseph Smith mentioned to friends that he knew that he would be able to do more for the Saints from the other side of the veil than he could in life.
I think that this might apply to our family as well, especially considering Marianne's patriarchal blessing. All we have to do is stay close to the Spirit.
I am so gratetful that your mother danced that last dance with me over Thanksgiving weekend in 1975 and I am forever grateful for the patience and love she has extended to me these last 33 years.
I love you.

DAD

Your great great grandfather Heber C. Kimball recounted the following experience at the funeral of Jedediah Grant, who at the time served with Heber as counselors in the first presidency to Brigham Young.
You can read about it at http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Journal_of_Discourses/Volume_4/Remarks_at_the_Funeral_of_President_Jedediah_M._Grant

4 comments:

Julia Holmes said...

Thanks dad! You always have a way of making me feel better. Thanks for always being there for us. You have been amazing through all of this and you have been so strong. I love you and I appreciate the strength you give me.

Rebecca said...

Dear big brother, you will forever be one of my heroes. I love you and miss you and, I am so proud of you. Embrace the day and keep on keepin on. (really impressive cake)

Ron and Ginny said...

Marianne was an amazing wonderful person that affected all of our lives but you are all the same. If any were missing we would not know how we could do without you. Cole you are a great example of the gospel and a wonderful father to your children.

Carole said...

I have not been able to get on your blog for months, but finally found it, and am so happy to be able to read it again.

Dad and I love you and your wonderful family more than any of you could ever know. You are all in our prayers every single time we pray.

May the Lord bless our entire family that we will be able to live up to the potential He has so graciously given us. We can NEVER do too much for Him. We are an Eternal family and none of us can EVER forget that. Each and every one is important to our Father in Heaven.

Marianne is waiting to greet us all.